Thread: Auto Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I think the transmission is a dual clutch 6 speed automated manual. If so I have been neutral coasting in my Fiesta (same type of transmission) with no issues whatsoever for over 16K miles. I would never attempt to coast with the engine off. I have heard real horror stories about people who tried that and since my car was a salvage rebuild there is no warranty om anything.

I have not really taken the time to read the specifics about the type of transmission in my car, which I think is similar to yours. I do know when I coast in neutral I can feel the tranmission downshifting as my speed drops below the lowest speed for the higher gears, although the clutch is disengaged.

My car also has throttle by wire, and there is no drama whatsoever shifting back into gear. I have done this at speeds as high as 70 MPH without any problem and I will continue to drive this way.

Bottom line is if your Audi is the DSG type automated 6 speed, then it would be worth it to try neutral coasting. I would leave the engine running though. I think the clutches are activated hydraulically and they would need engine power to maintain the fluid pressure.

I can't speak for your Audi, but you may notice the transmission downshifting as you slow down, so it can't really be in neutral, just the clutch is disengaged. Of course that is assuming your Audi functions basically the same as my Fiesta.

regards
Mech