View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #66 (permalink)
nathan01xl
EcoModding Apprentice

The Long Ranger - '01 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

EcoSI - '08 Honda Civic SI
90 day: 28.83 mpg (US)
had a bit of a mental breakthrough in regards to hypermiling on the drive home from work today. i told myself that if i was using the engine that i may as well be accelerating and if i didnt need to accelerate i would eoc. ended up getting 45 mpgs on the way home which is better even than my best trip with ethanol free gas. probably also due in part to it being much less windy today. the way i mentally arrived at that realization is that engines produce power more efficiency under load, each engine differently of course. i find that at about 75% load i can average close to 25 mpgs accelerating between 45(1600 rpm) and 65(2300 rpm) mph on flat ground. after the same mph change of glide i am able to nearly match he distance it took me to accelerate and average close to 50 mpgs. this is compared to maybe 40 mpg cruising at 55 mph average speed. this is all stuff that i had read and knew before but sometimes you just have to see things in practice to really understand why and how it works.

today i also got over the slight embarrassment of rolling under 20 mph for 1/8th mile into what is currently a green but will inevitably be a red light. everyone flies by and looks at you funny but after the red light i always end up right next to them again.