View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 01:13 AM   #112 (permalink)
qx4dude
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
Enough with the theories, this is credible evidence. You may need to zoom in to read the graphs. Press CTRL and the + button to zoom in, and CTRL and - key to zoom out.

Barry's Tire Tech

I'll highlight a few important points.
...But you neglected to highlight another important point:

"But on a whole, this paper seems to point towards increasing inflation pressure is better for many properties, the effects are fairly small, and the ones that aren't better might be compensated for by changes in the vehicle suspension. The only thing that points towards a significant safety issue is the plunger energy - and while this is a relatively rare occurrence, the results of a tire failure due to an impact can be quite severe. I wish there were better statistics on accidents involving impacts so this could be better assessed."

I'm not sure how "credible" this evidence is since the paper was written more than three decades ago - but you found vindication because it tends to support your argument.

I'm sure I could request (current) test data from all of the major tire manufacturers, auto makers, government agencies, etc, and post it here to support the over-max-sidewall-PSI is unsafe argument - but honestly, it wouldn't make any difference. You (and apparently most others here) have concluded that it's perfectly safe exceed max sidewall ratings at will. If the data supports your argument - it's the gospel truth. If it's contradictory, then there must be a hidden agenda, or a conspiracy. Like I said before, it's a free country. What you choose to believe is none of my business. I'll just go back to my first point: Before advocating the wonders of running passenger tires at 60, 80, or higher PSI - readers need to be told that it "could" be dangerous, and to do so at their own risk.

At this point, let's just agree to disagree. We've beaten this thing to death.