View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
A 3L V6 in the Dodge, and a significantly more powerful 5L V8 in the Nissan . . as said elsewhere, imagine the reaction of those for whom dentistry is less important than "Ammuricun made".

I agree, also, that Nissan will likely need to make their truck perform to 3/4-1T standard to get the best use of this motor. The transmission[s] will be the biggest deal of all (in re customer acceptance).

RAM screwed this one up, big time. I may not trust a DODGE dealer to have a qualified tech (and I don't, not without scads of references) so being able to go over to a big truck Cummins shop -- parts and service -- has always been a source of relief. I'm far from alone in this. A family of Cummins-powered vehicles would have been the right step (no matter how good the foreign diesels they'll need service eventually . . where in Wyoming will I find such?) as brand loyalty is very big among those who use vehicles to make money. The dealer/customer relationship is different than for daddy-commuter . . owning a 1T diesel work truck morphs easily into choosing another same-fuel family vehicle.

DD have you at hand a weight/dimensional comparison of the I6-6.7L and the new V8? FIrst one on the block with a stand-alone controller for that V8 . . . .

Last edited by slowmover; 08-23-2013 at 09:04 AM..