View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #120 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEV View Post
You haven't given any science. You just ignorantly claim that people who follow engineering recommendations are blind. Now that's ignorant.

And until you run a new set of tires until they wear out, you have nothing, and neither does any one else.
Do you really believe they are engineering claims? Or are they risk management claims? Don't you think it's odd that no matter which tire manufacturer you choose, the max PSI is 35, 44, or 51 depending on size and tire type? Look on YouTube and you can find video's of people that try to blow up tires. It always takes at least 150 PSI unless the tire/wheel is already damaged. This shows you just how much structurally the tires can handle. That number is significantly lowered when you add in the load of the car, plus the heat from driving. And I clearly stated in my previous post that over inflated tires have less puncture resistance.

I'm considering doing a chalk test I found online. Apparently the 4x4 guys use it with their offroad tires to find the correct PSI. It consists of applying chalk to the tire surface and then driving a few hundred hards in a straight line. Any major uneven wear shows up when the chalk is not evenly faded.