View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
spacemanspif
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
Cd: it rained a couple times this week and the pattern in both windows looked the similar on my car too. Once the weather cools down and I can drive to work with the windows up I plan to tuft test all the glass but the windshield to see what is going on. I can only do the glass because I'll be the one looking at it and won't have the luxury of someone else videotaping while I drive.

Freebeard: Aren't those basically window rain guards? Interesting idea to pus air off the car but I don't really see how it helps, I would assume it would hurt the airflow since its creating a negative pressure area behind it... But I'm no where close to being an authority on the matter. Would be easy enough to build and tape to my windshield though.

Reddevil: speaking of easy to build and tape on my windshield the length of quarter round idea could be viable to making a protruding A-pillar. Although my car doesn't really have a defined edge as the windshield wraps around the A-pillar in the same was the rear wraps around the C-pillar. I'd worry about snow build-up like mentioned in the link but it doesn't snow often here where it would become a problem. I'm very familiar with the recirc. button and have converted all my friends and family to use it for keeping the car ice cold.

Its amazing how many people never touch buttons on the dash because the don't know what it does and don't want to break anything...its a button, push the F-ing thing! That's what it was made for, you won't break anything.

So what would be better:
A) Windows down; mirrors gone
2) Windows down; mirrors installed
C) Windows down; with rain gutter (freebeard example)
D) Windows down; protruding A-pillar (red devil example)

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"