View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #43 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Exceptional conditions and use require exceptional measures

All fair and well if the car is driven in a 'normal' manner under normal circumstances.
But I use my car also when it is freezing hard. The car copes with that, but it will affect its lifespan.
I cannot get it warm enough when hypermiling in the cold.
The OEM unaltered car is uncomfortable and suffers, like its driver.

So I block the lower grille, and if it is really cold redirect the intake air from behind the radiator. That helps just enough to let the car warm up to reasonable tempreatures within 20 minutes of highway. I would be very surprised if this hurts the car more than running it without the LGB, in these conditions. I firmly believe the LGB protects my car during winter. Texan winters aren't that cold, so YMMV.

The LGB undeniably protects the radiator from stone chipping. I remove it every once in a while and see the stones fall out, and the dents and scars on the once pristine foam tubes...

There is really no substitute for using your brains in these.
It is safe to stay on the conservative side, but if you have your mods well thought out and tested, and monitor the effects while using them, then why not?

This is ecomodder after all. And for me, it is a hobby. I hope to learn from the experience; even the bad ones. I will not shy away from mods I believe in just to avoid the tiniest chance of getting it wrong.
I would like my mods to have professional quality, also I aim at making my mods pay for themselves. But it has to remain a hobby, it should not look too much like work.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
101Volts (08-25-2013), justme1969 (08-26-2013)