View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
lselse3
EcoModding Lurker

6.4 - '08 Ford F-250 XLT
90 day: 35 mpg (US)
Quick vs Gradual Acceleration in large vehicles.

Howdy! Im kinda new to Ecomodder so for those who dont know me i am a freshman aerospace engineering student from Steamboat Springs colorado, but more importantly I am the loudest and proudest member of the fighting Texas Aggie class of 2017. With that out of the way, I have known for the longest time that it is said to be better to get up to speed more slowly. However, I drive a 2008 6.4 f250 diesel, with over 8k lbs of curb weight. I have a theory that in a heavy vehicle, it is better to hit the gas harder so that you get up to speed faster. I think it has to do with 2 factors. One, while accelerating, the transmission likes to stay in a lower gear, leading to higher Rpms and in efficiency. The biggest reason I feel as though it is more efficient to give it more gas from the stop is the fact that it is a TURBO diesel. If I attempt to gradually get up to speed, then the turbos do not receive enough exhaust to spool up, leading to less of a lean burn. If I give it a good amount of gas, the turbos spool up shortly, and allow the fuel to burn more completely, in turn, more power per unit of fuel, and reaching speed quicker.
Im just wanting to see what y'all think about this theory, not really asking any questions, just looking for discussion.
Sorry if that is hard to follow, Ill get better at makeing my posts easier to read.