View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
lselse3
EcoModding Lurker

6.4 - '08 Ford F-250 XLT
90 day: 35 mpg (US)
HHO based "Plug in Hybird" for all vehichles

Iv seen many people attempt to use HHO systems, however there is a massive flaw in the vast majority of the designs iv seen. It takes about 2X the energy to split water as you can gain from burning it, and this creates a loop of inefficiency when people are using their alternator to charge the car battery and make HHO. Iv found that by simply installing a couple large batteries in the back (next to the water tank for HHO and the cell), one may turn their car into a plugin hyrbid. The "plug in" coming from charging the batteries with a wall charger each night. This system is much cheaper and simpler to build and install than a Hybrid electric modification, and it easy to remove, should the need arise. Also, it would not be hard to build a small "hybrid braking" system, that would be actuated to only spin the generator while stopping. This would reduce the need to plug the system into the wall.

I feel as though HHO has much potential, particularly in Diesel, where the HHO would act as a catalyst for the diesel, allowing it to burn more completely. It would also aid in off the line accelerative efficiency because it is Pre mixed fuel(2 hydrogen needs 1 Oxygen) that would aid in turbo spool. Also HHO tends to have a much faster burn rate than petroleum products

I know there is a lot of stuff in here, again Im just looking for discussion and opinions on the idea. If anyone has ideas for improving the system, Id love to here them! I currently am planing on designing and installing a system with just the batteries (no hybrid braking) for my 6.4 f250 diesel.