View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #73 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Update for August 24

It's been a while since the last update. Most of my time has been spent on things around the build instead of ON the build - things like getting an axle built that has been extended the required 4.5 - 5.5 inches, and has the extra length adjustable, and is bolt-together (still working on that one). Expediting parts ... getting a voltage regulator that may allow a hall effect accelerator to work with the Kelly controller, which is expecting a 0 - 5K potbox ... and on and on.

So this weekend I'm back to working on the Electric Motor Module with the parts that I have right now, and the parts that are on the way (I have received tracking information).

I'm going to start at the batteries and work my way through the system. I've been prototyping for a long time. I`ll discuss a bit of what I have had working, and what it is intended to be for the initial delivery to Red River College, the client.

The batteries that I have been experimenting with are surplus deep discharge marine batteries. I went through shipping the Electric Motor Module by truck to the client in Winnipeg - which is roughly half the cost of buying new deep cycle batteries! Then I found out that the battery charger that I am using - a Delta-Q - can be upgraded to charge a Lithium pack. This combination resulted in purchase of the smallest lithium pack that has likely ever been put into a car. I now have new 40 A-h CALB grey cells. I ordered 16 to allow for a 48V pack and 2 spares. Depending on how the Delta-Q is configured (the local rep has the config, but was not involved in the programming. It may be 14 cells, it may be 15) I may add one cell to have the charger terminate with the batteries slightly under-charged to extend their life. And I have begun the tedious task of bottom balancing the batteries.

The lead batteries were arranged on my garage floor. I had planned a frame that would require a number of aluminum members in a very sturdy box. I have a battery box for the lithium batteries done in wood, and it will likely stay that way since these cells are so light compared to the lead.