View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
In the time it took, politicians and investors have already abandoned the concept en mass. The mass media machine has been saying that it was a fairy tale for a couple years now.

Of course, we knew it was a slow process that would take a number of years before any significant production occurred. But it's happening now and more next year.
Commercial Scale Cellulosic Ethanol Is Real | Domestic Fuel
POET-DSM Cellulosic Ethanol Plant Ready in ’14 | Domestic Fuel

Since Brazil doesn't have any such program they're looking to export Cellulosic Ethanol to the US when it comes online. There's no market for it at home.
Brazil startup to export ethanol made from sugar cane's cellulose | Reuters

It's still too early to make any claims for or against Cellulosic Ethanol's future. Commercial production is just beginning while all the naysayers have been calling it dead even before arrival. That's progress at this point. Now, about that Flexfuel mandate President Obama?
At least its beginning, articles like the one linked to are all we typically get which shades our attitudes.

Cellulosic is a definate advance, but only once places like the one you link to start proving out on both reliability and cost.

I think in the 3 step process we are still in denial and maybe a bit of violent opposition.

Get the cellulosic fuel in tanks and that will start to change.

That said I dope my fuel with a little e85 for better octane, since the mod (real cost) to have a car burn e85 is under a $100 it is foolish not to have every new car on the road at least partially ethanol ready.

Even better would be hydrous ready but I digress.

GDI could be used to better this end but thus far no one is using it for that purpose.

Ah well, more years to wait.

If I had a few billion laying around I would tap the local powerplant to distribute its waste heat in the winter for home heating and tap its exhaust to make ethanol / biodiesel & butanol.

Ah well.