View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
I hardly ever drive, but would like to have the unit plugged in at all times.
Will i lose data if it is unplugged ? And how long would it take to drain the battery?
It may take a month, or so, to drain the battery to the point where your car won't start without being jumped. I haven't done a battery draw test on mine, though.

The installation instructions call for the MPGuino to be wired into a battery supply wire, not a switched ignition wire. The device settings are stored in EEPROM, so they'll be retained if the MPGuino were to be disconnected from the car. However, if you unplug your MPGuino, it will lose all of its trip data, because that is only saved in the device RAM.

Now, there are EM members here (me, for instance, or meelis), who have modified their MPGuino code such that we can save trip data into EEPROM so that it remains intact, even if the MPGuino itself were to be removed from the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
If I leave the SuperMID plugged in constantly, the screen stays on even with keys out of the ignition. This is not very good, since vandals see this bright glowing screen beckoning them to take it. Does the MPGuino screen stay on constantly even with the key out of the ignition ?
It shouldn't, not if the vehicle is not running and not moving. One of the device settings in the MPGuino is a delay timeout, which causes the LED backlighting to shut off after a set amount of time. The base MPGuino is set to shut off the backlighting after 7 minutes.