View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
oldbeaver
EcoModding Apprentice

Mercedes 89 D - '89 Mercedes 300 E
90 day: 33.86 mpg (US)

Skodie - '09 Skoda Octavia TDI PD
90 day: 38.84 mpg (US)

1993 Mercedes 300D Turbo - '93 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo W124
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 9.61 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 33.34 mpg (US)
Jumping fuel flow meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...ordered it on-line from Big Boys Custom Toys LLC, Enfield, CT...cost $74.50 USD including shipping & handling.

...I'm almost at the point of NOT recommending this device, because, so far, only the MPG-avg mode seems to work acceptably. The other three modes (MPG-inst, MPH and RPM) all "jump" around continuously, never settlling down on a fixed number, almost regardless of what the car/engine is doing.

...I don't know if the problem is with the unit or the car interface (2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L with CAN-OBD-II) and little help comes from Auto Meter (they were VERY prompt in responding before the sale, but are now disturbingly silent after the sale). I'm trying to find out if others are having similar problems either with the unit of with the unit installed on Pontiac Vibes and Toyota Matrixs and Corollas.

...the good news, however, is that once "calibrated" the MPG-avg reading displayed at the end of a tankfull of gas is quite close to the actual tank-fillup value.

...what vehicle are you thinking about installing it on?
Your meter is very accurate as instantaneous fuel consumption IS variable due to many factors. Only mean mpg tends to be stable in ANY good flow meter.

What are the connections it needs? Is it a OBDII meter? Or is it of more general use? Price?

Oldbeaver