View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #32 (permalink)
alvaro84
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_deceiver View Post
On the interstates you can find 24hr fuel stations at least every 100kms (generally...). On secondary highways there are towns, but outside of major cities those small towns tend to shut down at 8pm. No gas no corners store, everything closed.
No, I mean towns that slow you down Fuel stations you don't use don't really get in the way [/QUOTE]

Quote:
I tried to not ride at night but found myself riding at least an hour or two in the dark each evening. Many people don't realize how much time you waste while stopping to take pics, eat, get gas, ect, while on a bike.
I do... and sometimes I ride in the dark too. Especially in day shift - which is 6am-6pm. It's August and it's almost dark when I go to work. And it will surely be dark both ways from October.

Quote:
The KLR has a pretty good lighting system and a decent high beam. With a 22L fuel tank I can easily get 320kms or more (depending on wind direction related to speed) before having to switch to reserve at around 17.5/18L.
Teresa's low beam is rather weak. The high beam is nice, but that's a crime against the battery (Now I have problems with the voltage regulator, I guess. Have to get her to workshop soon...)

Fuel range is great, though. In good weather I can easily have 500km+ tanks from that 15l of gas

Quote:
The coastal and forested rides of the coast and Yellowstone where one can take time make such trips worthwhile. If you had 7-8 days you could eliminate the interstates altogether... or keep the long. boring desert rides and extend the trip to include some more interesting places. Yosemite, SoCal coastal highways, the beaches of greater Los Angeles, Vegas, and the Grand Canyon could easily be included in that trip with 3-4 more days! That's a of of riding!
Coast, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon... I'd need weeks. To look everything thoroughly, and take a lot of pics.