View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #456 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

So I drove from western MA on the mountains all the way Boston at sea level on the highway. 55mph the whole way for 150 miles. Windows rolled up, no ac, no wipers, right mirror deleted, grill block. And i got 80mpg for the trip!

80mpg! The best i had before for that trip was 62mpg going the speed limit. My car is an automatic, so the difference is primarily a result of the lower aerodynamic drag at 55mph. Another factor is steep uphills, which makes going the speed limit against gravity so much worse.

Driving slower for a longer time was less stressful, physically and mentally. However, my habit of driving with the windows up and no ac for the 3 hour 20 minute trip in 80 degree weather, left me exhausted! I would do it again, in fact i did on the way home.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice in my experiment!

Now with this in mind, let me tell you for a fact that the Prius that passes you on the highway going 75+mph uphill is getting 35mpg or less on a tank. Don't feel jealous of them! I sat in a Prius in Boston, and the FCD said 37mpg.

Later i was navigating for another 1st gen on an mpg rally in a small town, and we were puttering along in neutral at 28mph. We got passed by an unrelated local Prius with a plate that said "180MPG," Liar! More like 18.0mpg. Cause my driver got 112mpg for the rally.

Moral of the story, it's not what you have, it's how you use it!
Joggernot (08-26-2013)