View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.1 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Do you like hubcaps?

Well, I don't.

My pride and joy took a blow (in more than one way!) from a hubcap bouncing through the files on the highway and changing lanes without indication.
Tried to swerve to the emergency lane to miss it, but there was a stranded car on it just a hundred meters away so I did not dare and had to take the blow.

I'm insured but it will cost me 150 € own risk. I cannot choose my preferred repair company; and I don't trust the ones my insurer allows for; especially the one that did an invisible repair on a little star on the screen. (Yup, I mean you can not see it ever was repaired, there seems to be no wax or anything in that little crater. To Dutchies: I mean Carglass. Avoid.)
Dammit...!

It hit the A pillar too, it has a small dent. I was amazed that it was just a small dent. The impact did not sound like breaking glass but like metal deforming
(edit: new OEM Honda windscreen with sensor spots ordered, will go in sept 10. The dent in the A pillar will remain there until the end of time, creating little vortices no doubt. No ABA testing on that I'm afraid)

I decided to sell my bike. I've been hit by stones, hail, hurricane winds, cigarette butts on the visor (like firework in the dark!) and even a not too empty milkshake beaker, covering my coat in strawberry slush... None made me lose control.
I doubt if I would have survived this impact if I were on my bike. I now just go dump it and shorten my things to do list.

Folks, secure dem hubcaps...

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 08-29-2013 at 02:26 PM..