View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
It would be better to first decide what type of mileage you want, and what price you are comfortable paying. You've listed three widely different cars that fit different functions.

For all out fuel economy the Insight wins. It's light, aerodynamic, and due to being a hybrid gets good FE in the city.

The TDI, as you said, is a more solid commuter. Probably more comfortable due to being heavier, way more room, but still gets good FE.

I would group the Metro with the 1990+ Japanese cars as well. Honda, toyota, etc. These cars are the cheapest at around $2500+ for a solid car, but if you are not mechanically inclined this might be more trouble than the initial price is worth. Are you willing to work on the car when stuff breaks? Maintenance is key with high mileage cars. They have good value though. Just look at the top 10 gas cars on this site for FE. Most are 1990's Honda's, there is a Metro, and a Toyota.

I love having an old car that gets good FE. Besides the low initial price, you pay very little for insurance. I pay $20/month on my Civic. Taxes are cheap. Junkyard used parts are cheap. And many of us love to work on cars anyway, so a chore such as replacing the clutch or fixing the overheating issue is just part of owning an older car.