View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Being a unibody design, the exterior sheet metal rust really isn't a safety issue at the size you describe. I would, however, be concerned with potential rust in the foot well or any interior panels that would expose the driver to excess fumes, heat, etc. Structural components need to be checked. For example, where suspension parts connect to the body and the "frame rails" in the engine bay. I had a Del Sol (very similar platform to the 92-95 Civics) where a mounting location for the rear trailing arm was rusted away. Someone had attempted to repair it with welds. That sort of rust is the dangerous rust. You really need to be under the car to see for yourself, and post pictures if you have any doubts so we can all take a look.

If it's just exterior panel rust, let it rot until it's too embarrassing to be seen in. Since you have welding skills, you could potentially restore the car slowly. They make patch panels to fix the rust, and anyone can learn to do body work. If you wanted to buy it back I would probably offer $750. Being high mileage, rusty, and needing many expensive repairs, it's really not worth much to anyone but DIY mechanics. But since it's your friend you want to make the deal worthwhile. Honestly having a parts car would be a great addition. I can recount many times where I needed some little part that I couldn't buy locally that I had to order from Honda and pay shipping, etc. Having a parts car is like having your own parts store!

Plus, you aren't a true backyard mechanic without a rusty car sitting in your yard.

Last edited by cbaber; 08-28-2013 at 07:45 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cbaber For This Useful Post:
Ryland (08-28-2013)