View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
6 Speed
EcoModding Lurker

The Rocker - '87 Ford F250 XLT Lariat
Allow myself to introduce.....myself

After having been lurking here and there for some time now, I reckon it's finally time to join into the fray.

My last vehicle was a 98 Ford Ranger, 2.5L 5spd, and with the process of fixing it up and doing maintenance no owner ever did, etc, I achieved a hwy score of 28mpg fully loaded with all my tools.

I'm a mechanic by trade, doing most of my work on-site, so reducing the weight of my vehicle is one of the things I'm unable to do. Anywho, I just parted ways with the Ranger to step up to something bigger, better suited to what I do.

The new vehicle is a 1987 Ford F250 XLT Lariat. 6.9L IDI, 5spd, 2wd, single cab, long bed. Immediate plans are to replace the bed with a flatbed once I have it running again (starter problems). According to the previous owner, it does roughly 18mpg on the highway. That's a pretty big step down from the 3k lb Ranger, but not too terribly bad for a stock 6k lb brick.

I've been talking to Christ a lot about it (he's a friend from another forum I frequent, CustomFighters.com. Motorcycles rock! WOOO!) and what I want to do to make it both more accommodating to my work as well as more fuel efficient. My end goal is 25mpg or better on the highway, and as close to 20 city as possible.

The biggest issue I have is that the only 2 ways I will be able to achieve this will be through aero and any changes I can make that lower my rpm's. I wont be mentioning driving habits because that one is just plain obvious.

Once I have the truck back up and running, I'll start a build thread/mod log/discussion thread, where I will post up my ideas, what I do, and any success I have. Though if I get bored enough tonight I might do it tonight lol.

That's all folks!