View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
4862forestgrove
EcoModding Enthusiast

Leah's Prius - '07 Toyota Prius

Black Sportwagen - '04 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Wagon GLS

Colorado - '05 Chevy Colorado Crew
I did see the thread, but just scanned it. I am trying to digest some of the 12 billion posts here :-)

I have done several "thinking drawings" one of which superimposed the template over the top of my Jetta. The ground to the top of the frame with 1" of flooring material with the lowered trailer measures 18". The ground to the top of the template just in back of the Jetta measures 54". This gives me 36" of trailer height (not much) so I did plan on some sort of pop up. With the taper of the template I get 18" in the back of the trailer. If I telescoped the whole thing I get 72" in the front and 36" in the back.

I have thought of attaching 3/4 plywood to the bottom of the trailer frame members and have a "sunken space" which gets me back 4.5".

I have also thought of fairing at least the top of the Jetta / Trailer unit to maintain flow as I have seen in other parts of the Forum.

I plan on doing a little welding and reducing the weight by eliminating some of the frame cross members in order to reduce weight.

The axle would not be attached to the bottom of the trailer if I enclosed it. It would float in the open space. Are there other implications of that technique that you had in mind?

The body would be wide enough to enclose the outside of the tires / fenders at that point.

by blunt do you mean like a rounded wing leading edge as in a standard teardrop trailer or squared off in the front with a flat panel like a cargo trailer?

Kitchen cabinets on 4 bar links??

BB