View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Eco_Bob
EcoModding Lurker

Smile Thanks All!

Thank you all for replying!

In response to Nemo taking the Tri-Rail - For the possible new job - Tri-rail doesnt go that far up north yet (Jupiter, FL). I was taking the tri-rail with my last job - I live walking distance from a station - but stopped for the most part after almost getting hit for the third time crossing the street when some asshat runs the red light.

I have sat in a metro before, and I assume the the Jetta/Golf tdi ride is the pretty much as it's gas counterpart? Have yet had the opportunity to sit in an insight. I assume its closer in driving comfort to a Metro than the tdi?

At this point, I am kinda leaning more toward the insight just because of the better mpg - but find that I am shifting between the 3 throughout the week...

Assuming all the options are kept in relatively good shape (oil changed on schedule, lights and weird sounds are investigated soon, etc) - Does either of the three options have a higher likelyhood of leaving me stranded during the long commute or other long trip?

I suppose a large part of my questioning of which car I should focus on comes down to total cost of ownership - Any ballpark figures or guesstimates on maintenance/repair costs (assuming I can do the easier repair items myself) to get the three options to another 150k+ miles? I suppose another question would be which would have a higher frequency of repairs/maintenance - my free time will be limited with a new kid on the way :-)
Assuming I start with:

95-00 Metro 3 cyl -~ 85K miles
00-04 Jetta/Golf tdi ~ 150K miles
00-05 insight ~ 130K miles

Thanks again,

Bob

p.s.
Poking around the forum some more - I found Elio Motors -- assuming their mpg and release date are anywhere near their claims - this may be a good viable option?

Last edited by Eco_Bob; 08-29-2013 at 12:18 PM..