View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doviatt View Post
Ok. I'll agree with you to a point. But, who has fun driving to work? Save your fun for weekends with a different (more expensive) car.
My old Metro (not Tweety) was only used for work (and on purpose as I only bought it for the work commute). It was never driven on weekends, nor evenings, or even grocery runs, as it was so ugly, uncomfortable, bad, only I enjoyed driving it because of the savings and challenge for efficiency. The money I saved gave me better things in life that I actually enjoyed. My new convertible Metro, however, is lot's of fun and very efficient. I enjoy driving it.

Oh, and cruse control? Don't use it. Don't install it. It is inefficient. Drive with intent and focus always with your mind engaged. Take the effort and get good at adjusting to the variability of the commute. It takes practice but it is better and more enjoyable than mindless cruising.
I have fun driving to work. Actually, I have a blast driving everywhere lol. Why buy two cars, one for work, and one for play? Spend way more money, two cars to insure (or buy a trailer/race track), more of everything.

And cruise control can be very effective. I find with my car cruise control is very effective for level roads, or even gentle hills, when I am at a set speed. A high traffic area with a slight hill near my home goes from 35, to 50, to 55, the hill being towards the end of the 50 to the 55. So I accelerate from 39 to 50 while maintaining 30 mpg, and then CC at 50 mph, gives me the best mileage. My car uses as little fuel as possible to keep that speed.

Now, obviously CC is terrible at many things, but a blanket statement like that may misguide someone not familiar with when to, or not to, use it.

Elio motors, if it comes to life :/

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (08-29-2013)