View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #47 (permalink)
Tesla
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
It'll be very interesting to see the results of any A-B-A testing for these clips. Been considering getting a set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
A test suggestion: Since the improvement if there is one will be too small to measure in FE and since ABA is a bit too tough, how about before and after video of the wheel spinning up on jack stands. Get the wheel to 15 or 20 MPH, hold it, let it glide to a stop. Video the wheel. See if the clips help the wheel spin even half a second longer.

Just a thought.

-james
A couple of comments,
I read an older thread recently about modified air intake with OP reporting 2mpg improvement from one summer to the next and there were numerous denigrating posts, suggesting the thread be thrown in with the Unicorns, am curious why this thread isn't given the same treatment, there is no verifiable repeatable results under controlled conditions reported here either, just seat of the pants claims.

I also question safety considerations, as I understand the clips, if working correctly pull the caliper back to a fully open position, this would result in a delayed braking response from brake pedal activation to the actual time pads make contact with discs. This becomes even greater as pads wear down and some vehicles may not even have enough volume in master cylinder pump to fill all 4 calipers enough to begin braking in a single stroke of the pedal, not a good situation in an emergency situation. Disc brakes are designed to keep pads close to discs as the pads wear down so breaking response is as quick as possible. There is also the question of whether Insurance would be voided by this type of modification.

If well maintained and correctly operating, the pads should open enough through vibration and normal variations in the disc surface such that they will just skim over the highest point in the disc and friction will be negligable overall.

I also thought about what effects may be occuring with airflow between the disc and pads, if flipped to a horizontal plane pad travel over the disc simulates a vehicle travelling over a flat road, so is there greater air resistance by forcing air under the pad or directing air around the pad, not really sure, but it is worth considering as a possible counter effect to any surface friction benefits.