View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Mid West Regional fuel economy challenges?

I've heard of the Shell Eco-Marathon. I've heard of the green grand prix at watkins glen. But are there any other established fuel economy competitions around? Maybe in the midwest?

I think an event would be fun to try, but it just seems like they are very few and far between. I live in the midwest, and this stuff is unheard of. I would be willing to travel 4 hours or so to an event. Places within the region include Kansas City, St. Louis, Omaha, Des Moines, Topeka, Wichita, and Tulsa.

Would anyone from this area be interesting in creating an event? Even if we only had 10 participants I think it could be fun. I've plotted out a 120 mile round-trip course that runs through mostly rural areas and is all interstate. Perfect for 45-60 mph with little traffic. It would be a competition, and results would be taken from fillup's and everyone competes against the highway EPA rating of their car. Most % over wins.

I've just got ideas, nothing concrete. I'm just gauging interest from members around this area that would be willing to compete. I think if we had a solid plan we could promote the event to the public and attract many more participants.

What do you think?