View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #50 (permalink)
Tesla
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
It is not in the unicorn corral because these clips are used by several car companies and their function is well understood.
Honda puts 2 clips on each front brake of a Civic and 1 on the 2nd gen Insights.
It is no snake oil.

They solve a problem that should not be there in the first place.
So they are a standard maintenence item on a couple of vehicle models because of (poor?) design.

The use on other vehicles would be questionable.

All the vehicles I have worked on, the piston does not retract, hydraulic pressure is just removed and then disc movement then pushes the pad back slightly so there is just the slightest gap between disc and pad, this ensures the pad grabs as soon as brake pedal is pressed.

I know on my vehicle if the pads, just one wheel, have been retracted manually it takes significant pedal travel before the pads even touch the disc.

I assume the springs act on the backing plate of pads, how do they account for pad wear, i.e. springs would need to open more for new pads and less for worn pads.

Just think people should be aware of what they are actually doing and what implications there may be.

As part of ABA testing, maybe an ABA braking response should also be tested, particularly with worn pads, tenth's of a second make all the difference when it comes to emergency braking and if the first half of pedal travel is just dedicated to making contact with the discs, then this may be a serious problem in those situations when you want to stop like right now.

I don't know if this is an actual problem with these springs, just putting it out there as something to consider, maybe someone with these springs could actually report back on gapping on new and worn springs as well as pedal travel before disc contact is made by the pads.