View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 01:56 AM   #26 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,591 Times in 7,074 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the input... could you take a quick look at the attached drawing of the treatment of the front radius and tell me which your intuition favors... I believe there are equally easy to build. Thanks in advance. BB
Still in the planning stage right? Aluminum sheet and a Harbor freight trailer?

Re: the nose: Definitely convex. That concave curve you like should be turned around and attached to the back of you Jetta. Customize your tow vehicle to the trailer, but leave it generic so you can move to another tow vehicle.

...When it survives those nasty crosswinds. Be sure to watch the UK Top Gear caravan racing videos before you head out on the road.

In the back: Full -tail? Flat plate? Box Cavity? Eomodder starts to reveal it's schismism. I say go out one nite with a piece of fiberglass pre-preg [activated] and drape it over the back bumper of your neighbor's Prius. Remove it carefully with a spatula before dawn and narrow it up after it hardens.

The frame: Sell it on? You could weigh some different trailers, old boat trailers and such. Then you'll know how much penalty there is for that folding feature. A commercial axle and hitch with some recycled steel stock? It ain't rocket science.

I have one of these and I will be going to him for the parts to get it on the road.

All you need is a round stub axle. Scavenge the swing arm or roll you own and just buy the elastomeric suspension module you can see just inboard of the trailing arm.

As for the aluminum skin, roll the edges and get some aluminum H-channel. Curve that to the required shape and rivet through one skin, the web of the H and the other skin. Easy peasy.

Edit: If you built your own trailing arms you would want to maintain that angular geometry but you could make them straight so they skim the road right behind the tire; and then you could build a full teardrop light-plane style pantaloon off the back of it. I'm ditching the stock fender on my Westy as of now.

Last edited by freebeard; 08-31-2013 at 02:08 AM..