View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #32 (permalink)
ChazInMT
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4862forestgrove View Post
Epiphany! Thinking about using shaped foam rubber like couch cushions coated with liquid plastic for a smoother surface as a flexible gap filler with velcro attachments to trailer... This should allow trailer turns without binding just letting the foam rubber squish and should maintain my radius and be easy to create. I'm sure someone must have thought of this, but, I haven't been able to find it anywhere. BB
Have you done the math on how much space you need to allow for cornering, meaning the distance from the front corners of your trailer to the back of your car? Looks to me like the minimum practical is 1/2 W of the trailer so at 5 feet, you'll need 30", which in a tight turn will shrink to 6" on one side and stretch to 54" on the other. The shrink is easy to engineer, the stretch is where it gets interesting. But I suppose you really don't need to fill the gap in a turn since at highway speeds the gap differences from side to side will be small, so all it really needs to do is crush. Still, a daunting challenge, which is why I think we see so few gaps filled.