View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
vskid3
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
A 3MPG difference between the FWD and AWD is about right. I've been running 44PSI in my non-LRR tires since I bought it, seems to help negate the non-LRR. I would suggest getting a Scangauge II to keep an eye on the hybrid goodies (also handy for diagnosing any problems you might have).

redpoint - There really are no alternatives that will get the same mileage, especially in city. They're very reliable vehicles. The only sketchy year would be the first, 2005, but to be honest, most of the issues with them have probably been fixed by now (through recalls or parts failing and being replaced by the revised versions). There are many that were used as taxis that have over 300k miles and are still running strong. There's even one owned by a security company that recently hit 500k. The most common failures are the MECS pump (circulates coolant for the motor controller, transaxle, and DC-DC converter), the battery blend door motor, HV battery cooling fans, and the 12v battery dying of old age (seriously, it makes the Escape do some funky things til its replaced). All these parts are under $300 a piece if you can install them yourself, none are very difficult.

Mine currently has 145k miles. I've unfortunately had to replace the MECS pump, battery cooling fans, and the 12v battery in the time I've had mine. Everything looked original, though, so it should be good for at least 5 years.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread