View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
Is there a way to measure one's respiration efficiency to measure and track improvement?
Yes, but you'll need an exercise science lab, and to get your VO2 max measured will cost you unless you can get in on a study that includes it as a metric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
At annual training, I kept hearing how running 30/60s (sprint/jog) are the best way to train, although it was the same Private that just kept talking. I try to maintain a constant speed on Monday and do 30/60s the other days.
In order to knock a minute and a half off your time, you'll have to do two things: run longer to improve your aerobic endurance, as others have suggested, and run faster to improve your cadence (the key to reducing your time). The Private was only half right when he said alternating sprinting and jogging is the best way to train, because you need the aerobic capacity to maintain the higher pace as well. I would do at least one longer run each week (the rule of thumb is no more than 10% increase in mileage each week, so don't do too much too soon), and at least one speedwork run--it doesn't have to be rigidly structured, either, if you don't want (what runners call fartlek, a Swedish word that loosely translates to "speed play" and entails sprinting during a run when you feel like it, for as long as you feel like--the key is just to get used to your feet moving faster).