View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
sheepdog 44

Latter models had a different seat which is more comfortable. Only other difference is the ecu/mcm? Some had more aggressive charge profiles to prolong the battery life. There is no difference in power or fuel economy except MT vs CVT.

My options were either
Geo Metro,
CRX HF,
Civic VX,
Civic HX,
Older clone sprint/ xfi,
1st gen Civic hybrid,
Honda Insight.

The major point for me was reliability, and all the previous models were full of new england rust, and had high mileage from the 90's. Insight is plastic and alluminum so no rust.

Now if i had to do it again, i'd pick a cheap car that was well maintained. Little investment, less insurance, not much care if i hit a deer and scrapped it. Thats my personal opinion. Bought mine for $3,200 which is good, i spend more on insurance than gas (Insur is priced good for Insight). Even for an economical car, i spend more on my car than i do groceries sometimes. Do you own the car, or does the car own you?

Don't get too hung up on the EPA numbers between models, if it's in the 40's, you can get 50mpg driving good. If your a hypermiler you'll get mid 60's++ mpg.

For alternatives, the CRX HF would be my first pick. Fun, lightweight, great handling, excellent fuel economy, sporty 2 seater. Smaller frontal area than the Insight, and decent CD. Aeromodding can make it slipperier than the Insight.

Next are the leanburn Hondas, VX, HX, 1st gen civic hybrid (did have leanburn!). Higher mpg cruising than the EPA rates it as. All have 4 seats.

I will say the Honda Insight is a great car. I love everything about it, looks, lightweight, aerodynamics. As close to my dream car as i can get. Other cars can get the same mpg, but the insight does it with little effort on your part. You won't regret it!