View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
jtbwatson
EcoModding Lurker

The Blazer - '00 Chevy Blazer LT
90 day: 16.31 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
It's possible we are talking irregular tire wear - which is caused by mis-alignment.

Irregular tire wear comes out as either a vibration or noise - which are essentially the same thing, just different frequencies.

Rotate the tires and see if it changes. If it does, then it is likely your tires are developing irregular wear and an alignment is in order.

Please note: My experience says that the alignment specs published by vehicle manufacturers is too wide - by half. The settings have to be within the inner half of the tolerance to prevent tire wear issues.

And you should be aware that once rubber is worn off a tire, the tire can't grow new rubber in its place. Any new wear pattern is on top of what is already there. So tires with irregular wear tend to continue that wear even after the source of the problem (alignment) is fixed.
It ended up being the wheel bearing in the passenger side front tire. I ordered new wheel bearings from 1aauto, but after I install those I will be sure to take it in to have it aligned and rotated.