View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
litesong
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I usually only use 1st or 2nd and 5th, no need for any of the other gears except when
1. Pulling
2. going up hills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
The additional gear ratios of the CVTs can be an asset for the ICE ... which is very susceptible to non-ideal RPM and Torque combinations ... but the CVT transmission itself is significantly less efficient than the Manuals transmission.
I agree in the near term I expect more CVTs ...
The two exceptions given are the reason for 5(or 6 or 7+) gears & there are other reasons, too.

I loved my CVT which transferred power to the ground continuously & I did get better mpg than the 5 speed manuals delivered. It made stop & go commuting, bearable & even elegant without shift shock. Yes, travel from 1 to 15 mph can be...... OK, if you can't go 60mph. Also my car, which didn't have an efficient body or engine, had the ability to get 32-33mpg traveling over 4000 & 5000 foot mountain passes & was due to CVT's ability to set the exact right geariing for ALL slopes & configurations.

However, CVT's extreme unwarranteed repair cost caused me to trade my car before such an event occurred. Wanting my accustomed manual transmission again, I could never find it on the dealer's lot & got an extremely fine deal on a 6 speed automatic Elantra. Bolstered by the 100,000 mile warranty, I expect no out-of-pocket transmission repairs for a decade & possibly long after that! Plus, the Elantra, bad-mouthed for poor mpg by lead-footers, is delivering 39mpg average. Under the conditions, I don't think a manual could have rendered higher mpg than the auto.

The auto tranny is a pleasant experience, tho not the wonder of the CVT.

Last edited by litesong; 02-15-2019 at 03:46 PM..