View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Just my opinion.

I think if visitors could read about different levels of "hypermiling" they MIGHT be more amenable to adapting the different levels of technique.

Presenting the different levels as steps to progress might be more effective. My best example is my wife. The last time I drove her Sorento, I noticed she had an average of 31 MPG in the Sorento (new rating 29 highway). I complemented her on that number.

She is a very non agressive driver and averages 26-27 in the Sorento. In her previous vehicle, a Nissan Rogue, she could consistently beat EPA highway tank after tank.

I think many people come here who do not feel like they can contribute to the discussion, so they just read and adopt methods that they feel are acceptable to them for their driving situations.

Things like average speed, rate of acceleration, coasting, and light timing all can make a significant difference in average MPG. Most of these are very easy to do and they do not interfere with other drivers habits, even though those habits are terrible.

I also think that when threads go down the path of confrontation, they can turn people off to techniques that could be useful, but the argumentive nature of some possibly could cause those less confrontational to just stop reading some of the posts, or believe the information is not constructive.

I do like the light handed moderation, generally allowing threads to go beyond the point where I might lock them or delete tham altogether, which is one reason why I would not make a good moderator.

Been here 5 years + now. I like to try to help people when they have a problem that falls into my level of experience, which dwindles as time passes.

Not so sure about "agressive" marketing, which personally turns me off, however as long as the "flavor" of the site remains, I will be hanging around, probably indefinitely.

regards
Mech