View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Beaver
Chronologically Gifted

Base Metro - '96 Geo Metro
90 day: 54.24 mpg (US)

Neon ACR - '98 Dodge Neon ACR

Banana Slug - '64 Volkswagen Bug

Spirit - '92 Toyota Class C Motorhome Winnebago Itasca
90 day: 17.26 mpg (US)
Recently I read an article in Hot VW's in which a fuel mileage oriented air-cooled VW engine was being built. They intentionally used heavy rotating and reciprocating internal parts in the engine, including a heavy flywheel. I think their point was that the engine would store and hold on longer to the energy invested in it to get it up to speed. It seems like this idea plays into your "pulse and glide" tactic. Heavy wheels and tires should also act as flywheels, causing you to be able to glide further, shouldn't it? While it may take more energy to get up to speed, it will keep that speed longer(?) If this is so, maybe it would be better to save weight elsewhere on the car, and go heavier on wheels/tires.
As a weekend autocrosser (G-Stock Neon ACR) I am very aware that lighter wheels/tires are much better for performance and handling, just as a light flywheel and light pistons/rods etc. makes for a more responsive and quicker revving engine. But are they best for fuel economy for those using techniques such as those hypermilers use? I don't know, but I just bought a '96 Geo Metro 3 cyl 5-speed for my daily driver and want to try my hand at this fuel mileage game. I'd like to know what you think.

I know, I know; autocross seems like such a waste of gas! But my Neon probably gets better mileage on the course than most of the other cars out there; it's only about 45 seconds per run; it makes you a better driver, and it's FUN!!!

"Life is like a 10-speed bike. Most of us have gears we never use."
-- Linus