View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I will be weighed after running the same distance, so I should sweat the same amount.
Use the lost water as an extra insurance you'll weigh less.

I know my weight will easily vary 1 kg on a day to day basis.
That's what I can leave behind in the restroom / toilet / crapper / head / ... in a single - ahum - sitting.

Quote:
I understand that if I do not eat and drink, it will take me longer to restore my energy, and if I do not consume protein, my push-ups are supposed to be for nothing.
You got to get an idea about how many calories you're burning through the day, all activities combined, then see how much you may take in given the weight you want to lose ...

I'm about 5' 8" and went by on 1800-1900 kcal / day, while walking anywhere between 30 and 48 km a week - that's 5 to 8 hours of condition training / week - losing 1 kg or even a bit more /week.

No running for me, I merely walk @ 6 kph / 3.7 mph.

Running faster uses more energy, so you need to take that into account.

If you go to a nutritional consultant, they can tell you to within 100 kcalories/day what you can take in and still lose weight ...

Quote:
Seven thousand is the average between fat, starch, and protein?
7000 kcal less with a balanced diet, will translate in losing about 1kg.

Quote:
but I worry that as I eat less, my metabolism slows down further
You should.
Eating too little, means your body will go into harvesting mode.

My sister's been in that position ...
she went to a nutritional consultant, and had to eat MORE !

I've been eating a lot while on a diet.
Much of it stuff that's "free for use" in other diets - I counted all of them.
Carrots. Tomatoes. cauliflower.
Strawberries. Ananas is good, too.
You can eat lots of this kind of stuff, keeping your metabolism rather busy, which in turn also burns energy, without adding much calories.

Some of this stuff gets called "negative calories" these days.
But it isn't
Negative calorie food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I used to always order two foot-long sandwiches from Subway (the low-fat ones, with plenty of vegetables) or two chicken burritos from a Mexican restaurant. Now I only eat one, which is now too much, I need to find something smaller.
What's wrong with the Subs, is the bread ...

If you eat lots of bread or similar food with dough in it: cut down on it, it's a lot of calories and it really adds up.
Industrial bread / dough products are the worst.

BTW I've lost 6lbs during 3 weeks in CA and AZ last year.
Lots of walking, and staying away from McDo and the like, but frequenting SubWay

Quote:
For breakfast, I have two servings of Slim Fast Protein after my run. For lunch and dinner I have chicken and vegetables.
Quote:
I have tried to measure my heart rate after a run and I always mess up.
Measure it while running , that's when it counts ...
The tools to do so have gotten cheap these days.

I used my dad's old bicycle heart meter to get an idea of what kind of load put me at 70% of my max. heart rate - chosen to be right in between burning fat and improving my physical condition. And it's done both.

Quote:
I have heard many times that running slower burns more fat, but yes, I would imagine that would really require that you exercised longer, at that slower speed.
Of course, but that way you build up your condition, and over time you'll get to run faster for longer.

I've cut some 12 minutes off what was once a 55 minute walk ... keeping around the same heart rate

Quote:
Also, muscle is supposed to burn fat throughout the day, so many argue that weight-lifting burns more calories than cardio.
Whatever physical activity you do, it's always muscles that make it happen.
Having more muscles by body weight %, is what burns more calories.

The brain uses a fair deal of power too ... if you use it

Quote:
I am afraid that I do not understand the last bit. Train sober?
After having slept, but before you've eaten anything.

There 'll be little or no easy sugars to burn, so the energy has got to come from the long-term storage ... fat.
That's also why you shouldn't push it too hard, and have to keep going for a while : you need to give your body time to get hold of that long-term storage energy.

Quote:
Fasting?
Nope - puts the body in emergency mode ...
Slows down metabolism, and gets more nutritional value out of whatever you'd still eat.

Quote:
i only pump my arms when I consider that I am running quickly, but I consider myself to be a very slow runner now.
More movement = more calories burned ...

One of the tricks to cheat the scales that I noticed :
take in your regular kilocalories for the day, but doing so using cookies, roosted peanuts, chocolate etc . : all the stuff that's way too many calories but adds less weight, will translate into an artificial extra weight loss the next day ... but you'll feel hungry, despite getting in the right amount of energy.

Not drinking diet / light ... drinks usually helps to stay away from other sweet, calorie rich stuff.