Thread: Tesla
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 03:21 AM   #25 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Payback on Solar when offsetting gasoline is 7-8 years and the solar will last the rest of your life, 60+ years.

Is the Tesla S selling because it's going to save the owners money or because people who DRIVE ev's like them better then gasoline cars and figure it's worth the cost.
It's not the question of whether people want the car, it's a matter of can fit it into their budget and lifestyle? Sure a high end luxury car like this will attract buyers, especially high profile brands like Tesla, no matter if it's EV or not. I'm sure I would like to drive a BMW M3 more than my Civic, but it's just not within reach. And that's my point, EV technology is out of reach for everyday people who don't buy cars as luxury items or accessories to define their image. Most people buy the cheap, economical, reliable cars. If any EV is going to take that market, the technology is going to have to allow cheaper production and better range. I would like to see an EV in the $20k range competing with popular cars like Civic and Corolla.

Are companies like Telsa really beneficial to the EV revolution if they don't produce vehicles for the 99%? EV is such a new technology with it's own problems to overcome, yet Telsa continues to focus on high end rather than a car for everyone. If thats their goal then fine I can accept that. But to hear everyone talk about how Telsa is proving that electric is the future, I just don't see it with their current line up. They don't want everyone to be able to drive EV's. Henry Ford wanted everyone to have a car when he built his company. Thats not what Telsa is doing, they are keeping electric exclusive. Yet taxpayers continue to fund the purchases of these cars, that are out of reach for most of the taxpayers. The Nissan Leaf is pretty much the only EV that can compete with the economy gasoline cars, yet as I illustrated they don't give enough benefits to justify the downsides.

Last edited by cbaber; 09-04-2013 at 03:27 AM..