Thread: Tesla
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
It's not the question of whether people want the car, it's a matter of can fit it into their budget and lifestyle? Sure a high end luxury car like this will attract buyers, especially high profile brands like Tesla, no matter if it's EV or not. I'm sure I would like to drive a BMW M3 more than my Civic, but it's just not within reach. And that's my point, EV technology is out of reach for everyday people who don't buy cars as luxury items or accessories to define their image. Most people buy the cheap, economical, reliable cars. If any EV is going to take that market, the technology is going to have to allow cheaper production and better range. I would like to see an EV in the $20k range competing with popular cars like Civic and Corolla.
Out of the 10 or so EV's that are now on the market, the Tesla S is the 2nd best seller and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the best selling EV at some point soon.
Most people I know don't buy new cars, I bought my EV used, my parents bought their EV used, you look at Ebay and you see used factory built EV's that are a few years old so they are selling for the price of a 2-3 year old car!
One of the nice things about people who are willing to spend a lot on new things is that they often like to keep buying new things, you want a cheaper Tesla S then wait a few years and buy a used one!