Thread: Ontario newb
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
MazdaMatt
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Ontario newb

Hey all,

I've been lurking on the forums for a while and generating some plans for my DD and working on my technique. So far i've not been tracking my mileage, just driving closer to ideal than before (jackrabbit starts, downshift passes, 140km/h on the highway).

I own a 2k2 Mazda Protege5 and I'd really like to talk to people that have done CHEAP aero mods. I plan on blocking up the front, adding a small lip and then thinking about undertray and skirts. I can't think of any way to reduce my wake in this car, though. I refuse to make it hideous, so wonderful creations like aerocivic just aren't inspiration for this work.

Also I own a 94 F350 cube van with a HUGE 20ft box and a 7.3L non-turbo deisel with a horrible 3-speed shift-by-rpm automatic transmission. This thing is HORRIBLE on gas. Primarily it is an aero-nightmare. It has a "bubble" on the front, but creates so much drag that it can slow in neutral faster than my protege can slow in gear off throttle.

Also, i drive a 93 Del Sol Si pure track car (which I haul to the track in the cube van). This is definately not where I"ll be saving gas, but i'll be using the aero techniques learned here to increase my top speed on the race track because my engine has poor power.

Cheers,
Matt