View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #240 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
If I were building a trailer what I'd like to try would be like a log truck trailer, a dolly on a telescopic boom. Except it would be three axles of your 15" wheels for a low deck height and the boom would be sized to carry a 20 or 40' shipping container. The I would need camper jacks with angle-iron brackets that clamp into the corners of the container to off/on-load it.

What do you think the dolly would cost (I'm thinking about moving empty containers)? The boom would need to extend from 15 to 25'. Maybe a lodgepole pine?

Ultimately, I'd like to get an aluminum 40' container and cut it down to 32' to get an R-license, taper the ends according to good aero protocols and add wheelboxes and permanent independent torsion axles. When I move out of what I'm in that could very well be my new residence. I'm thinking the uninsulated aluminum box and insulate and panel it myself.
It sounds doable. I am working with my mechanical engineer on the smaller trailers for now, he says my small 98''x64'' standard trailer is ridiculously over built even if it has a 2000lb rating (I was thinking I would stick a 1200~1500lb rating on them just so they would be built like a brick lavatory).

I can't think of what the container mover would cost to build, steel is so cheap, but springs, axles, spindles and tires are not. Smaller axles are kind of costly, big axles are very costly, looking at around $350 per axle new and that is with out tires. I don't know about you but that's unacceptable to me, I know people have piles of these things they want to get rid of, I just need to find them. Word is these axles can be had for around $150, but I don't know if that includes tires or not.
Other wise it creates a $ problem that gets passed down to the end consumer.

Check the DIY forum for trailer builds.
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-05-2013)