View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
HydroJim
Master EcoModder

Aerofocus (retired) - '00 Ford Focus ZX3
90 day: 44.66 mpg (US)

The Red Baron (sold) - '93 Geo Metro
90 day: 44.1 mpg (US)
Project: The Red Baron

Before I get into the project, I'm gonna start with some other information.

I'm no longer one of the only 16 year olds in the world interested in ecomodding. I'm now one of the only 17 year olds in the world interested in ecomodding. I've recently entered my senior year of high school and my number one college choice at this point is the United States Military Academy at West Point. The application process for West Point is very long and tedious so it has been consuming most of my time. All that along with my rigorous schedule at school means little time is left for anything else. My summer project was the restoration and slight customization of my 1993 Geo Metro. I sort of went against the ways of the forum and I did not focus on fuel economy. I'm still getting 45 MPG and now I have what most people would consider a "cool" looking car. Don't worry, fuel economy is still in my heart.

Here are some pics of the car:

I'm happy with the car but I'm all out of money. So, I'm currently looking for a job. I have an interview tomorrow with panera bread so hopefully I land the job. Once I'm on more solid financial ground, I'll either sell my focus now, or drive it through the winter(no salt for the geo) and sell it in the spring. I'm opting towards selling it in the spring at the moment.

Either way, I'm going to have the ecomodding bug on the geo. That's what this new thread is for. I won't be doing anything for at least a month but grille block and air dam will probably be first on the list and I'm thinking transmission during Christmas break.

My plan is to install a rebuilt XFi transmission
Grille Block
possibly a coolant heater or oil pan heater
Air Dam
Side Skirts

I'm trying to keep it looking sharp for the ladies so no boat tails. I'm thinking I want to lower it an install some body braces because right now the body roll is pretty bad.

My current life plan is to graduate from West Point, spend 2 years getting a masters, serve my military time and then decide if I want to stay in or if I want to leave the military. If I leave, I'll start a family and buy a house with my savings. As soon as I settle in I'll start my dream of starting my own car company. Or I will go to work for Tesla, Edison2, or whoever else is leading the pack in the future.

Crazy? yes
Ambitious? yes
Impossible? no

I hope everyone else is having a great life!