View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #241 (permalink)
NH scrap
EcoModding Lurker

pizza runner - '94 toyota corolla dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
If I were building a trailer what I'd like to try would be like a log truck trailer, a dolly on a telescopic boom. Except it would be three axles of your 15" wheels for a low deck height and the boom would be sized to carry a 20 or 40' shipping container. The I would need camper jacks with angle-iron brackets that clamp into the corners of the container to off/on-load it.

What do you think the dolly would cost (I'm thinking about moving empty containers)? The boom would need to extend from 15 to 25'. Maybe a lodgepole pine?

Ultimately, I'd like to get an aluminum 40' container and cut it down to 32' to get an R-license, taper the ends according to good aero protocols and add wheelboxes and permanent independent torsion axles. When I move out of what I'm in that could very well be my new residence. I'm thinking the uninsulated aluminum box and insulate and panel it myself.
i have hauled containers
they sure do push a bunch of wind
if you get pulled by DOT & they don't think your trailer is safe you have big trouble. some of those guys are cool & some .....watch out!

if i was looking for a container to live in i would get an old reefer container
they are built tough & are already insulated.
add a door & a couple windows & you are good to go.