View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #243 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
i have hauled containers
they sure do push a bunch of wind
if you get pulled by DOT & they don't think your trailer is safe you have big trouble. some of those guys are cool & some .....watch out!
My plan would be to snow 'em with a lot of aerospace detailing, dimpled speed-holes, etc.

The ends with the corner castings and heavy doors would be cut away and the remaining tube would be tapered on the ends according to sound aerodynamic principles. But it really should spend most of its time on a bearing post with a rudder so it acts like a big weathercock, or on pontoons in some sheltered body of water.

Quote:
if i was looking for a container to live in i would get an old reefer container
they are built tough & are already insulated.
add a door & a couple windows & you are good to go.
There's an intermediate step but I can't remember the name to give an hyperlink. It is a truck van body on a container floor. It's got the [lower] corner sockets to fit into the shipping infrastructure, but they can't be stacked 5 high. What does that tell you?

I'd start with uninsulated because there exists vacuum-bubble insulation with 10x the R-value of what we think of as insulation. Lined with White Southern Pine for it's outstanding thermal mass performance. And I can build a 6" thick solar heater/night-time cooler on the roof.

Last edited by freebeard; 09-06-2013 at 07:18 PM..