View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
julien.decharentenay
EcoModding Lurker

Finding shape with lowest drag coefficient

Hi,

I have been thinking of a simple little project for which I would require your participation. The project is to find the most aerodynamic shape that can hold at least one person (laying down is ok).

Some background: I am a cross between software development and scientist (expertise in Computational Fluid Dynamics). I recently quit my job to focus on my own projects. One of which is Aerodynamic on Demand - add https in front of aerodynamicondemand.appspot.com

Further details: I would like interested people to use the above webportal (using the Discovery option for free) to find the most aerodynamic shape. Aerodynamic is measured by the drag coefficient Cd (i.e not the drag area), the lower the Cd the more aerodynamic the design is.

The project closing date will be 9th October 2013.

To participate it should be relatively simple:
  1. Create your geometry in a CAD package (I personally use SketchUp):
    • Geometry does not need to be a car or bike (i.e do not worry with wheels, etc) - do not spend more than a couple of hours unless you have a very specific shape in mind
    • Geometry is to be able to accommodate at least one occupant
    • Geometry is not taller than 5m
    • The lowest point of the geometry is to be no more than 0.5m above the ground
    • See the geometry requirements on the website
  2. Export the geometry in STL format (using meters units);
  3. Go on the website to the "Start a calculation" page;
  4. Fill in your details and use the promo code ECO1023 - if you click on "update" it should report a AU$0 cost for the Discovery option. Use a speed
    between 50km/h (13.889m/s) and 100km/h (27.77m/s) with a zero yaw angle;
  5. Select the Discovery option.

At the moment, there are 50 free sims available (happy to increase if there is more interest) to be used by the closing date. If the website redirect you to Paypal, DO NOT PAY, send me an email instead!!!!

Note: the Discovery option is a coarse simulation.

Report your results: It is probably best to give your results by responding to this thread.

What am I going to do? I am planning to organise the results by decreasing drag coefficient to create 30 seconds YouTube video(s) of the geometries - I won't share or take credit for the geometries beyond the video(s). I would like to credit the participants so it would be great if when posting your results, you give out any twitter, facebook name that I can add to the credits (otherwise, I will just use your EcoModder username).

This is only running on the EcoModder forum, so please do not disclose the promo code outside. I will include a mention of EcoModder to the video (if acceptable).

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Julien

The Following User Says Thank You to julien.decharentenay For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (09-08-2013)