View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #91 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
owly -- It's novel to see people advocating for rear-steer, so I have some questions, if you don't mind.
  • Do you have a cite-able reference one could point to in discussions of the subject?
  • What was the top speed of the truck/loader?

Quote:
I've been a Buckminster Fuller admirer since the 60's........ so I'm biased toward the Dymaxion. I only wish there was some info about his rear steering geometry available on the web.... Thus far I've had no luck. The downfall of the Dymaxion I believe was the weight distribution.
Me too. Except I think the downfall was aerodynamic lift on the lee side of the nose in crosswinds.

It seems testable with a recumbent tricycle. If the rear wheel rotated fore-and-aft on a pin at the top of the fork; and there existed two plates, one on the frame and one on the fork, that had 10 holes in an arc on one plate and 9 holes on the other—then the inclination could be adjusted to 1/10th the hole spacing. For test purposes.

If rear steer were applied to this vehicle, the result would be 3-wheel steering.

I haven't checked back through the thread but I believe I suggested turning the top torsion bar into anti-roll, that would shift the spring/roll ratio considerably.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
user removed (09-09-2013)