View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
A few years ago Top Gear from England did a driving challenge where the three hosts were sent into Europe to buy three cars and then drive them 740 miles on ONE TANK OF GAS!!!
Yes, and I can do that any month I decide to completely fill the tank of my Honda Insight. (The cheap stations have discounts for cash, and accept bills, so I only put in $20 at a time - currently about 2/3 of a tank.)

Quote:
Two of the cars were enco models rated at (Really) 75 MPG and 56 MPG and one Jag was rated at 35MPG. I believe all three were diesels.
You have to remember that an Imperial gallon is 25% more than a US gallon, so that'd be 60, 45, and 28 mpg in the US. In addition, those cars were probably lighter and more aerodynamic than what's available on the US market.

Quote:
Any way all three MADE the trip without running out of gas!!!
Lastly, you have to remember that Top Gear is an effing TV show. They do not report the truth, unless the truth is also (in their particular offbeat worldview) entertaining. If they think it's "entertaining" to film a Tesla running out of battery, then that's what they do, regardless of whether or not it did run out.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
mechman600 (09-16-2013), shovel (09-10-2013), UFO (09-16-2013), UltArc (09-09-2013)