View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #81 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

"Yes I wasn't saying it wasn't banned becuse it out run them all, I'm saying after it was banned the pottential reward to recoupe money on turbines was low since you couldn't prove it with racing"

The facts are: Until it dropped out of the race due to a small part failure it was out running and out driving all the other cars. The next year they ruled that the air intake had to be restricted to more or less kill it as a competing car.

IF they, other car owners and engine makers had not done this THEN THE TURBINE would have started wining race after race and as you say win on Sunday and sell on Monday…

"and if you tried to sell a car with a turbine people would remember that it broke down twice at indy. Those who do not follow indy rules may assume that they don't race it because it was unreliable and thus not want to put money down and buy one them selves."

Again if they were allowed to race and improve the motor and car like all the rest of the cars that would be a different story.

And your last point proves how environmental laws and regulations can be good to give you something you want, better parts that last long. However you bit** and complain that the same environmental rules and regulations don't let you have pollotion causing diesel.....

Funny but I don’t love Diesels..they are costly to maintain…I have just been trying to say better MPG is being withheld.

That other systems could give fantastic MPG, but for the powers that be.

1967 INDY Gas Turbine Car — Turbine Cowboy

"1967 INDY Gas Turbine Car
Document Actions

Send this page to somebody
Print this page

This 1967 Studebaker STP Special was built by Andy Granatelli. The side engine racer was driven by Parnelli Jones. In the 200 mile race (500 miles) at The Brickyard, Car #40 lead 171 laps. On the 197th lap, it suffered a gear box failure ($6.00 part) and eventually finished sixth. What might have been the impact on automobiles had the gas turbine-driven car actually won the race? You can see the racer in the museum in Indianapolis. The next year, "the powers that be" changed the rules to make the use of the gas turbine untenable in INDY car racing. "

Rich