View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #32 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
MPH. MPG of course is infinite when I'm coasting (at least in warmish weather), since the engine is in DFCO.
I wish that mine did that! According to the Forester forums, that is supposed to happen somewhere around 2,000 RPM, which I think is absurd. Except for canyon driving, I never maintain that speed without my foot on the accelerator!

I have seen momentary MPG of a few hundred many times. Coasting downhill in-gear, I have great MPG, but I have never seen the legendary series of nines, and it always shows a positive GPM. I am pretty sure that it actually increases if I downshift downhill.

Quote:
I understand. There are quite a few places where I could probably top 85 mph, maybe 100, while coasting, if it wasn't for the curves - and things like deer, possible lurking cops, etc.
All of my good hills have curves, I hit an elk, and I have been pulled over multiple times.

After years of driving one way to my parents' house, for some reason I drove the other, and realized that it was shorter and faster. That canyon was even crazier, my GPS showed dozens of switchbacks! The speed limit was 35 MPH, too, compared to 55+ the other way, but it was still faster.

I asked my dad why he did not drive that way and he said that he kept getting pulled over.