Thread: Justice
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
My passenger & I both felt great seeing the miscreant get his just dues. Why is that?
I'm no psychology expert, but I believe our biology is such that we find pleasure in justice. We have a sense of right and wrong that demands that people get their just desserts.

A couple days ago I found myself in stop and go traffic on I-5 for 2hrs due to all lanes being blocked by a wreck. Instead of stomping on the gas and then jamming on the brakes, I decided to relax and allow a gap to develop in front of me that I would eventually close by coasting/idling. In 10 minutes of driving this way, not a single person moved into the gap I had left. Unbeknownst to me, the person directly behind me was quite agitated by this level of efficiency, and he proceeded to peel out and pass on the left shoulder of the freeway.

A younger me would have been upset by this display of rage and blatant law breaking, but I found satisfaction in remaining calm while knowing he was still fuming, and only 1 car further along in the miserable traffic. I'd have celebrated if he received a citation for his maneuver, but a sort of justice is achieved anyhow, through his upset mood and decreased fuel efficiency.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!