View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
Speeding reduces reaction time, increases likely hood of loosing control in evasive maneuvers, increases the energy upon impact or loss of control. We hold these truths to be self evident...

If the counter argument is "but others in the herd want to go faster", well that doesn't quite do it from a safety perspective.
As long as humans are driving, we will go different speeds. If they raised the speed limits 10 MPH, some would still speed, and I imagine that the guy who made the video would be one of the fastest ones on the road.

Would all of us need to match his speed for everyone to be safe?

The faster you drive, the worse mileage you get--air is out to get you!
I would think that every maintenance expense would go up the faster that you drive.

I have had several tires go out on me. I probably should have paid more attention to them, but I guess that I got as much use out of them as I could.

What kind of relationship is there between speed and tire failure? Is shredding a tire at eighty more dangerous than at sixty?

When I drive through the canyon, I do not keep my speed near the limit because I do not think that I can stay between the lines, but because I am afraid of blowing a tire while cornering at a high speed.

Interesting fact that I found:

Quote:
Total paid in speeding tickets per year $6,232,000,000
http://www.statisticbrain.com/drivin...on-statistics/

They would need to recover that revenue somehow.