View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
owly
EcoModding Lurker

While cruise control is probably not inherently unsafe........ it is unsafe the way most people use it.... If you use it like Saskwatchian does, resting your foot on the gas pedal, and maintain the same level of alertness as in normal driving....... yes........ it's safe. I don't see many people doing that. Anything that increases reaction time, or is part of a pattern of reduced alertness and increased reaction time is unsafe in that context. That unfortunately is the rule, not the exception. One could easily say that using a cell phone while driving is quite safe also.......... It all depends on the judgment of the "nut behind the wheel". Those who claim that they can't beat cruise for efficiency on "flat ground"....... must live in West Texas ......... If you want efficiency on "flat ground", the very best efficiency is to be had with a simple hand throttle........ it beats cruise all to hell in efficiency. I know that......... I've done it......... actual "flat ground" is virtually nonexistent in most of the world.
I thought I'd offer this concept for anybody who wanted to duplicate it.......... It definitely offers several major advantages over cruise control. It basically just acts as a tactile speed limit while allowing you to drive manually at the same time.

Howard